San Huang San, also referred to as Herbal Ice or Three Yellow Powder, is a traditional Chinese herbal formula with various medicinal applications. here are some frequently asked questions about San Huang San.
Quick Links to the Sections Below
What is San Huang San?
San Huang San is a combination of cooling herbs that alleviate pain and inflammation in injuries. Known as Herbal Ice or Three Yellow Powder, it offers an alternative to using ice in Chinese medicine by clearing heat, reducing swelling, and dispelling stasis. San Huang San is available as whole herbs or coarsely ground powder and can be used as a tincture for muscle soreness. Ingredients include rhubarb rhizome, scutellaria root, phellodendron bark, taraxaci herba, gardeniae fructus, and carthami flos. It is applied externally and not for long-term use.
How is San Huang San made?
San Huang San is prepared by combining specific herbs that possess cooling properties. These include:
– Rhubarb rhizome
– Scutellaria root
– Phellodendron bark
The herbs are carefully measured and then ground into a powder or coarsely ground form.
Our product stands out from other salves due to its intentional inclusion of finely ground herbs within the mixture.
Unlike typical ointments where herbs are strained out, Herbal Ice retains the powdered herbs, which are meticulously run through an incredibly fine mesh strainer by the maker. This careful process ensures a smooth yet thick texture to the final product. While this might give it a different consistency compared to other ointments, this method is by design. The maker believes that leaving the herbs in the mixture enhances its potency, precisely aligned with their goal of creating a botanical remedy to quickly clear heat and move blood. The thick texture is not a flaw but a unique characteristic that embodies the product’s therapeutic essence.
The ground herbs were infused in the oil for a period of 4 weeks, with the mixture being shaken every day. After this infusion process, the blend was then combined with organic beeswax to create the final product.
What are the benefits of San Huang San?
The benefits of San Huang San include reducing inflammation and alleviating pain in injuries. It is particularly useful for traumatic injuries such as bruises and sprains. The effectiveness lies in its ability to clear heat and inflammation while reducing swelling and dispelling stasis. San Huang San is commonly applied in martial arts training as a poultice and should only be used until the initial inflammation and swelling have subsided 
Where can I buy San Huang San?
Valley Health Acupuncture Store: This specialized store offers a variety of topical products tailored to individual requirements.
For those interested in bulk purchasing, Wai Ke Botanical offers wholesale options for San Huang San. This could be an ideal choice for healthcare practitioners, traditional Chinese medicine clinics, or retailers looking to stock San Huang San products.
Are there any side effects of San Huang San?
Generally safe for external application, San Huang San might cause skin irritation, allergic reaction, or staining due to its yellow color. Precautions include avoiding ingestion, long-term use, application on open wounds, or broken skin. Pregnant women should also avoid using it. Consulting a healthcare professional is advised.
How to apply San Huang San?
Certainly! Here’s a revised version of the “How to apply San Huang San?” section, including the maker’s personal preference:
San Huang San is applied externally through a series of steps, and different people may find various methods of application that work best for them. Here’s a general guideline, along with the maker’s personal preference:
1. Clean the affected area: Ensure that the area where San Huang San will be applied is clean and free of debris.
2. Apply San Huang San powder or paste: Apply a generous amount of San Huang San to the affected area. The maker personally likes to put on a fairly thick layer.
3. Massage gently: Gently massage the area to ensure the paste or powder is evenly distributed.
4. Cover with a cloth, bandage, or personal preference: Cover the area with a cloth, bandage, gauze, or even an old sock for larger areas. The maker often uses a bandaid for smaller areas or a sock for larger ones to secure the ointment to the skin and prevent it from rubbing off on clothing or other surfaces.
5. Leave on for several hours or overnight: Allow the ointment to work its magic by leaving it on for an extended period. The maker emphasizes that this approach works best for them, but encourages users to find what works best for them!
6. Wash off with warm water: After the ointment has been on for the desired time, wash it off with warm water
Everyone’s skin and preferences are unique, so experimenting with different application techniques may lead you to discover the method that is most effective and comfortable for you.
Is San Huang San effective for inflammation?
Yes, San Huang San is known for its effectiveness in reducing inflammation, swelling, bruising, and pain. Its cooling herbs have anti-inflammatory properties that help in acute injuries. Though limited scientific evidence exists, its traditional use supports its anti-inflammatory effects
What are the ingredients in San Huang San?
San Huang San, commonly known as Herbal Ice, consists of a blend of potent and natural ingredients, each contributing to its renowned topical effects:
1. Organic Unrefined Sesame Oil Acts as a carrier oil that helps in penetrating the active herbal ingredients into the skin. Sesame oil is rich in antioxidants and is known for its moisturizing properties.
2. Organic Beeswax:Adds a protective layer to the skin, sealing in moisture without clogging pores. Beeswax is known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
3. Da Huang (Rhubarb Rhizome): Renowned for its purging heat and detoxifying effects, aiding in the reduction of inflammation and swelling.
4. Huang Qin (Scutellaria Root): Known for its cooling and anti-inflammatory properties, it helps soothe irritated skin and alleviate pain.
5. Huang Bai (Phellodendron Bark): Recognized for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities, it supports the healing of minor wounds and reduces swelling.
6. Pu Gong Ying (Dandelion): Offers detoxifying benefits and is used to clear heat and toxic materials from the skin.
7. Zhi Zi (Gardenia Seed Pods): Possesses cooling and calming properties, assisting in reducing irritations and redness.
8. Hong Hua (Safflower): Promotes circulation and helps in reducing stiffness and pain in injured areas.
These ingredients collectively contribute to San Huang San’s effectiveness in alleviating pain, reducing inflammation, swelling, and bruising in acute injuries. It serves as a holistic alternative to conventional remedies, tapping into the wisdom of traditional Chinese medicine.
San Huang San, or Herbal Ice, offers a natural alternative to conventional ice packs for treating inflammation and pain. While considered safe for most users, consultation with a healthcare professional ensures proper usage and application. Available in various forms, its therapeutic benefits are supported by traditional Chinese medicine practices.
Nature’s Ice Packs! Experience quick relief from redness and inflammation while nourishing your skin
We make available natural products that have been observed to make a difference in the lives of our patients, friends and family. You’re in good hands shopping with us.
About the Author
Willard Sheppy is a writer and healthcare practitioner who seamlessly melds scientific knowledge with practical applications in engaging and authoritative articles. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science from Oregon State University and a Master’s in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine from the distinguished Oregon College of Oriental Medicine.
In his work, Willard skillfully combines his extensive educational background in scientific research with his practical experience as a healthcare practitioner. Willard balances his life with martial arts and cherished family adventures. As a father of three, he often leads his family on camping and hiking trips along the breathtaking Oregon coast.